If you are an iPhone user you know its a precious piece of electronics and Apple knows your concern therfor they have come up with Find you iPhone service which can help you locate pin point location of your iPhone as well as lock, wipe or display your message on your iPhone. Till last year this service use to be paid service costing 99US$ per year however with introduction of iOS 4.2 and iPhone 4’s success Apple made this service Free on MobileME by logging in at me.com.
Unfortunately Find my iPhone is only free for iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4 or iPad with iOS 4.2 or above. Rest iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 3 and iPod Touch 2 are not supported. But no worries with the procedure below you can also setup Find my iPhone free of cost on not supported devices.
- iTunes 10.4 [download]
- iOS 4.2 or above [to upgrade saving your baseband visit here]
- Create Free Apple ID [procedure here]
- Open itunes and download Find My iPhone
- Install Find My iPhone by connecting your device with PC/Mac and Sync
- Goto Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > add a MobileMe account
- Enter Apple ID and Password in MobileMe account and Turn on to sync
- Now you will be presented with Apple Free account option and by selecting it an email will be sent on your email adress for authenciation.
- Open your email account and verify and there you go your free Find my iPhone serivce is setup.
- Launch the application on your iDevice to see that your device is linked as snap below,
- Now you can launch the service from me.com to get your deivce location in real time.