iPhone Dev Team and Chronic Dev Team has released Untethered jailbreak for A4 devices which includes iPad (First Generation), iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Apple TV.
From iPhone-Dev Team:
As mentioned earlier, @pod2g has spent months working on all the exploits and tricks in this untether, and many of you may be wondering how you can send donations. Although the iPhone devteam itself doesn’t take donations, we thought it was appropriate to provide a link at the end of the redsn0w run for you to more easily donate directly to @pod2g if you wish (alternatively, you can go right here). There’s a link in the Cydia package for donating to the chronic devteam for the Cydia version of @pod2g’s untether.
@pod2g is now looking for a way to extend this to A5 devices. Because those devices cannot use geohot’s limera1n exploit to inject the untether, they require exploits above and beyond those used for this release. Keep following pod2g on twitter or his blog for any progress reports!
pod2g hacker behind iOS 5.0/5.0.1 Untethered jailbreak has warned user to not update their devices when iOS 5.1 out in feature.
- If you are device is already running iOS 5.0/5.0.1 Tethered jailbreak then just navigate here to just install a tweak called “Corona 5.0.1 Untether” which will transform your device into Untethered jailbreak.
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.10b2 for Mac from here and for Windows from here. Extract the zip contents in a folder.
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for your A4 device from here
- Download and Install iTunes on your PC and Mac system
- If you A4 device is already running iOS 5.0.1 firmware then skip to step 7 otherwise continue to next step.
- Launch iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Select your device on the left panel, hold down Shift key and click the Restore button. Browse and select iOS 5.0/5.0.1 firmware download earlier, it will restore your device to latest iOS 5.0.1 firmware.
- Launch Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and Press Jailbreak button.
- Connect your iDevice with computer and make sure its Turned OFF then click the Next button
- Now follow these steps to put your phone into DFU Mode which is required to insert Jailbreak data into your iDevice
a. Hold Down Power Button
b. Without releasing power button Press Home Button
c. Release Power Botton and keep pressing home button
- Your iDevice will now restart.
- RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data.
- Select Cydia from available list of options and click Next button.
- Your device will now restart again and RedSn0w will insert new jailbreaking data.
- After the completion of step 13, your iPhone will again restart which will take approx 5 minutes and thats it!!! You have a jailbroken iDevice now
It is pertinent to mention here that iPad 2 and iPhone 4S will not support this jailbreak as they are equipped with higher hardware (A5-porcessor) as compared to other devices.
May may also like to check out:
- Downgrade 5.0.1 / 5.0 to 4.3.3 on iPad 2 3G (GSM / CDMA) with TinyCFW [How to Tutorial]
- Downgrade iOS 5.0.1 to iOS 5.0 Custom Firmware Using iFaith
- How to Save SHSH Blobs iOS 5.0.1, 4.3.5, 4.3.3 and Downgrade iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch [TinyUmbrella]
You can also jailbreak iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5 using RedSnow, iOS 4.3.3 using Redsn0w, JailbreakMe or to Jailbreak while preserving your baseband (software unlock) see TinyUmbrella, SnowBreeze & PwnageTool.