Recently we reported you about the release of latest iOS 5 Jailbreaking tool RedsnOw which was released right after the launch of iOS 5 operating system. However, users are still reluctant to perform jailbreaking because the tool requires Tethered boot means you will have to connect your iDevice with PC/Mac every time you boot up.
Just now another new Cydia package has been released to jailbreak for iOS 5 called “SemiTether” which is available in BigBoss repository. This new jailbreak Semi-Tethered app actually provides reboot for already tethered-jailbroken iPhone, iPad and iPod touch without need to connect your device into PC or Mac. However, the only negative side of using this app is you can’t use Safari, Mail, Cydia, and jailbreak apps installed on your device.
This is what BigBoss says about it
Here is a summary of what you can and cannot do when in semi-tethered reboot state. Remember, this is only when your device crashed and rebooted on the road and before you got back to your computer to “just boot”. It is better than being stuck in apple logo:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
1- Jailbreak your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch using Redsn0w for Windows or Mac.
2- Launch Cydia to add “http://thebigboss.org/semitether” as repository on Cydia.
3- Go to Search tab and search “SemiTether” package on Cydia and install it on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
4- When you are done with the installation then you can now be able to reboot your tether-jailbroken device even without connecting to a PC or a Mac.
5- However if you want to resolve no working of Safari, Mail, Cydia, and jailbreak apps then all it requires a tethered jailbroken reboot using Redsn0w. If you are a biggner and don’t know how to perform this tethered jailbroken reboot using RedsnOw then just launch start Redsn0w, go to “Extras” and choose “Just Boot” option and enter DFU mode. You device will now be rebooted as tethered. This operation will once again let you use Mail, Safari and Cydia apps.
Update #1 An update has been released to fix some issues.
I updated to 0.7.9. This version will take about 90 seconds after it first boots up and then your device will respring again. This timing was the only way to get some of the launch daemons to properly relaunch.
This version should fix issues for some of you folks where:
1) Device does not sync with itunes and only errors. Hopefully solved.
2) Device reboots after 2-3 minutes.
3) App sync issue – this is unworkable. Appsync hard patches system files and does not even use mobile substrate. I had to conflict with it. For now, semi-tether boot is impossible with appsync.