Apple has just released iOS 5.0.1 Final to resolve iPhone 4S battery issues. Same time iPhone Dev Team memeber MuscleNerd has mentioned on twitter that it is not recommended to upgrade on iOS 5.0.1 till the 5.0 downgrade is available. However, those who are still interested can jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 using RedsnOw latest version which will also recognize the newly released iOS 5.0.1. It requires Tethered boot means you will have to connect your iDevice with PC/Mac every time you boot up your phone.
- iPad 2 and iPhone 4S will not support this jailbreak as they are equipped with higher hardware (A5-porcessor) as compared to other devices Whereas who owns iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.3 can jailbreak using JailbreakMe 3.0.
- iPad 2 and iPhone 4S users running iOS 5 are strongly recomended that they should not upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 if they are waiting for untethered jailbreak.
- This jailbreak requires Tethered boot means you will need to connect your iDevice with PC/Mac every time you restart your phone.
- Download and Install iTunes 10.5 for Windows or Mac from here.
- Connect your iDevice with PC/Mac and take a backup through iTunes.
- Update your iDevice to iOS 5.0.1 which can be download from here[Direct Links].
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w for Windows or Mac.
- Run Redsn0w and Go to “Extras” and then on “Select IPSW” in order to select your IPSW file.
- This time you need to press “Jailbreak” button, and choose “Install Cydia”.
- Now follow steps to put your phone into DFU Mode which is required to insert Jailbreak data into your iDevice.
Tethered Boot Procedure
Now you need to tethered boot your iOS device in order to get Cydia up and running:
- Launch redsnOw on your PC/Mac again.
- Press the “Extras” button and once again select the iOS 5 IPSW you downloaded earlier.
- Go back to Extras menu, Choose the “Just Boot” option and then follow the on screen instructions to complete the booting procedure
- You have repeat the step 3 every time your device restarts.
SemiTethered Boot Procedure
“SemiTether” jailbreak tweak which is available in BigBoss repository actually provides reboot for already tethered-jailbroken iPhone, iPad and iPod touch without need to connect your device into PC or Mac. However, the only negative side of using this app is you can’t use all jailbreaking features on your device. You can follow the complete procedure posted here which includes download and install SemiTether on your iOS device.
GEVEY SIM Unlocking Users Guideline
- All those owners who are currently using GEVEY SIM to unlock their iDevices will have to first preserve your baseband by creating a custom IPSW.
- In order to do that Launch Redsn0w, Choose “Extras” followed by “Custom IPSW”, now select your iOS 5.0.1 file.
- Now you need to take your device into pwned DFU mode by going to Extras > Pwned DFU and restore to custom firmware made in step 2 through iTunes.
You can also jailbreak iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5 using RedSnow, iOS 4.3.3 using Redsn0w, JailbreakMe or to Jailbreak while preserving your baseband (software unlock) see TinyUmbrella, SnowBreeze & PwnageTool.