Couple of weeks back we reported you that initial booting of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has been achieved on Amazon Kindle Fire tablet in which only touchscreen was working. Today, developers behind the port has released the early build of Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Kindle Fire tablet. Although developers have managed to resolve issues related to SD Card but still audio, video, and application related functions are not working properly. The best part of this release is, you can easily revert back to the stock software or even CyanogenMod 7 build without taking much risks provided you device is rooted. Follow the below mentioned step by step guide in order to install Android 4.0 ICS on Amazon Kindle Fire tablet.
Download below mentioned list of files from Official thread at at xda-developers forum:
1- “tryforupdate.zip” ROM
2- “gapps_ics_4.0.3_v8.koush.zip” which will install Google Android Market along with other Google apps.
3- “Trubuchet.zip” which is the latest CyanogenMod 9 launcher app which is easier or faster than installing it manually after Ice Cream Sandwich is up and running.
4- Download and Install “Kindle Fire Utility” from here.
You can either download above mentioned files directly from your Kindle Fire Tablet with the help of web browser or download them on your PC and then transfer them to Kindle Fire’s storage by connecting your Fire to your PC with a USB cable
1- First of all you need to boot your Kindle Fire tablet into TWRP 2.0 by following below mentioned steps.
- Restart your Kindle Fire Tablet.
- As soon as you find yellow triangle with a fire icon on the display screen, press-and-hold the power button until it turns into orange color instead of green.
- Now wait for 10 to 20 second in order to boot into TWRP 2.0
2- After booting into TWRP 2.0, the next step is to take a backup of everything which may be used to restore your device to its current condition in case you don’t like keeping Android 4.0 ICS.
- Press the backup button showed on TWRP 2.0 Home screen.
- Choose items for which you want to take the backup. We suggest you to include atleast System, Data, and Boot items.
- Press the Backup now button.
- As soon as the backup is complete, just return to the main menu
3- Now you need to wipe out all data before starting installation of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Press the “Wipe” button at your TWRP home Screen.
- Select the Factory Reset option as it won’t remove sdcard partition data. However, it will clear your data, system, and other partitions.
- Press the Factory Reset button to continue.
4- You are now ready to install Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Kindle Fire Tablet.
- Click the Install button showed on your TWRP Home screen.
- Click the file named as tryforsdcard.zip.
- Click the Flash button to get started.
- Now you need to wait until the installation completes. Some error messages may also occor but just ignore most of them.
- Press the reboot button as soon as it is completed which will boot your device into Android 4.0.
- Similarly you have to install the files by repeating steps 3 through 5. It is suggested to install gApps first and then repeated the process with Trebuchet.
5- When you finished installation all the files, get ready to boot your device in to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
6- It is suggested to wipe “Cache/Dalvik” as soon as you finished installing the last zip file.
7- Finally select the Reboot System option which will reboot and load Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet.
You may also like to check out:
- How to Root Kindle Fire 6.2.1 Using BurritoRoot [Tutorial]
- How to Download And Install CyanogenMod 7 On Kindle Fire [Video]
- How to Install Android Market on Amazon Kindle Fire [Tutorial]