We are yet to hear any news about the expected release of official Android Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy Tab 8.9 devices. However, developers at XDA forum has already released an early build of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich which is like other build not very stable at the moment. However, if you are still willing to give it a try then our below mentioned step by step guide to port it on your tablet.
THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!!. PROCEDURE WE HAVE REFERRED IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. KOOLMOBILE.NET WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF IT GETS FAILED OR CAUSED ANY DATA LOSS!!!!!
1- Make sure your Galaxy Tab 8.9 is rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
2- Download Android 4.0.3 ICS for Galaxy Tab 8.9 from here.
3- Download ICS Google Apps from here
1- Transfer all above mentioned downloaed files on your Galaxy Tab 8.9’s /sdcard Root directory.
2- Boot your device into ClockworkMod Recovery with the help of ROM Manager. In case you don’t have ROM Manager installed on it then switch your tablet and then press and hold necessary buttons to boot into ClockworkMod.
3- Once you are in ClockworkMod Recovery, first choose wipe data / factory reset and then wipe Dalvik cache as well as wipe cache.
4- Next step is to to flash ROM by going to “install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard >” and select icyxmas.p5wifi.cwm.alpha1.1.zip.
5- Repeat step 4 to flash icygappsv2.zip.
6- Reboot your device now from the option available in main menu.
7- Install cpu control of choice, and set to interactive governor. Suggested once’s are SetCPU, No-frills CPU control, and Antuantu.
If you have properly followed the above mentioned steps then your Galaxy Tab 8.9 will be running now Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Whats Not Working
- WiFi-only, but 3G will be looked at for a future version (no ETA at the moment)
- Camera doesn’t work, don’t know when or if it can be fixed.
- Some video limitations, youtube HD vids not working. Some stuttering will occur until we get the kinks out.
- Charger screen doesn’t look correct when you plugin without booting up (charging status)
- Voice search doesn’t work – May have something to do with this error:
W/PackageManager(257): Failure retrieving resources forcom.google.android.voicesearch: Resource ID #0x0
- Probably more that we haven’t listed, this is an alpha – please let us know