Recently Microsoft has released the beta version of its latest Windows 8 operating system not only for developers but for all users. Right after its long we showed you windows 8 download and installation procedure through USB drive. Things didn’t stop here, a brief preview of Windows 8 Tablet was also reported along with its comparison with Apple iPad running upcoming iOS 5 mobile operating system.
Windows 8 start menu interface has been completely redesigned with new Metro UI but at the same time changing background has now become one of the most difficult task. In this post we are going to guide you step by step on how to change window 8 start menu background but please make sure that you try it only with 64-Bit Windows 8 Developers Preview.
PROCEDURE WE HAVE REFERRED IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. KOOLMOBILE.NET WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF IT GETS FAILED OR CAUSED ANY DATA LOSS!!!!!
1. Download a hex editor. I chose HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/)
2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\
3. In the Ribbon click File > Open Command Prompt > Open Command Promt as Administrator
4. Type the following in CMD;
takeown /f uxtheme.dll
icacls uxtheme.dll /grant Administrators:F
5. Copy uxtheme.dll to the deskop.
6. Open your hex editor and open uxtheme.dll
7. Go to the hex location as shown in ‘Metro Customization – Hex Table.txt’ by hitting Ctrl+G (Might be different in your program)
8. Make sure your hex editor is set to OVERWRITE and NOT insert.
9. Replace the colors as shown in ‘Metro Customization – Hex Table.txt’ with your own. The format is Red, Green, Blue, Alpha (RGBA). For a solid/opaque image leave the last byte as FF (example: FF0000FF would be solid red)
11. In system32 rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old
12. Place copy the uxtheme.dll from your desktop to system32.